NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Psychrometer as a Devise
Name: Gabriel
Age:  30s

Question:
For a psychrometer, does exist any limit for maximum velocity of air? I know it is one for minimum limit, for reach the saturation, but I would like to know if it is a superior one?

Gabriel,

Yes, there is an upper, as well as a lower limit for airflow for a psychrometer, although this varies a little depending on the kind of sensor used (mercury thermometer, thermistor, or Platinum Resistance Temperature Detector for temperature, capacitive element or dewcell for humidity, etc.). The lowest airflow recommended is 2 liters per minute, the maximum is about 6 liters per minute. The low end is the most important; the upper end is to prevent too fast a drying of wicked humidity sensors and to prevent sensors installed in the field from sucking in precipitation.

David Cook
meteorologist