NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wind Velocity Measurement
Name: Walt

Question:
In The United States we use miles per hour to measure wind velocity. In The Netherlands they use a numbering system. Can you relate the numbers to miles per hour?

Walt,

Actually, in the United States, scientists use meters per second (m/s) as the unit of wind speed. This is often converted to miles per hour for the public. m/s is what is used in all of the data from the Netherlands that I have seen. By the way, the former director of KNMI (the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute) was one of my college professors.

Atmospheric Section
Environmental Research Division