NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Tornadoes in Antarctica
Name: Unknown

Question:
Are there tornadoes in Antarctica?

I suppose a tornado could occur anywhere, but tornadoes are "driven" by the heat of condensation of moist air due to an unstable inversion. Given the lack of moisture in the Antarctic -- it is the largest desert on earth I doubt that tornados are part of their weather pattern.

Dear Sir/Madame-

A tornado in Antarctica would be extremely rare. Tornadoes develop from severe thunderstorms, and any kind of thunderstorm in that region is rare, although they have been observed in the northernmost parts of the continent and along the islands.

Wendell Bechtold, meteorologist
Forecaster, National Weather Service
Weather Forecast Office, St Louis, MO

I do not know of any tornados having been reported in Antarctica. However, theoretically, thunderstorms are a rare possibility around the exterior and snow devils are possible in the interior.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division