NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Springfield Barometer
Name: Darlene H.

Question:
My Aunt Jolly has a Springfield barometer, and she ask me to find out how do you read it. I imagine it is really old. It was her father's, that has past many years ago. She just needs instructions on what the needles mean, and how you read the thing. Can you help me so I can print it out and send it to her?

Darlene,

The barometer may not be especially old. They have been made in virtually the same way since the early part of the 1900s.

The hand with the arrow points to the present atmospheric pressure, normally adjusted to your elevation above sea level. This can be set with a screw (usually recessed into a shallow hole) at the back of the instrument; obtain the present pressure from a TV or weather broadcast or from your local National Weather Service radio station or office. The location at which the present pressure measurement is made must be at essentially the same elevation as your house.

The smaller hand is used to help you determine the change in pressure over time. A knob at the center of the barometer, over the dials (hands) allows you to move this small hand; place this hand over (or under, depending on the design of the barometer) the large hand that shows the pressure. Tomorrow, look at the pressure reading (large hand) and see how it has changed from where you set the small hand. If the pressure is higher tomorrow, it means that the pressure is increasing; if the pressure is lower tomorrow, it means that the pressure is decreasing.

Atmospheric Research Section
Environmental Research Division