NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Weather and Eyes
Name: joe

Question:
Why is it that on cold days, or early in the morning or late in the afternoon when I look up towards the sky I see little white dots moving all around, the best way to describe them would be tiny molecules about the thickness of an arm hair or smaller. I see a lot of them and moving in all different directions and when I blow out air in front of me I can see how they react. I thought about capturing this on my cam. but they won't show up, Is there any one out there that see this also and wonders what they are? air molecules, particles or somethings else because when I told my girlfriend she though that I'm crazy or that there's something wrong with my vision. I could swear that these things are real and they are not dust but tiny white/semi-clear dots moving in all direction and reacting to the wind. Is it posible for us to see these particles with our eyes?

Several observations:

The time of day/night that you observe these particles I think has to do with the intensity of incident light. If the light is bright enough, the effect is "washed out".

I believe that these "dots" are natural sloughing off of cells within the eye. In that case you would not capture them with a video cam. The cells move around depending upon the movement of your eye, which changes the flow of fluid within the eye. Yes, these are real, but if they cause you concern, you should have an ophthalmologist "check them out". I don't think they are serious and I think many people experience the same observation (i.e. I have).