NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne North Pole a Desert
Name: Lori

Question:
How dry is the North Pole? I understand it is practically a desert in terms of precipitation - perhaps not now with global warming, but in the early 1800s what would have been its climate? I am a writer and I have a reason for asking about climate in this region around 1810 - in fact a great deal of my book hinges on it! I am praying that it is as dry a region as I've heard.

The term "desert" depends upon how you want to define the term. If, by "desert", you mean lack of precipitation without regard to temperature, Antarctica wins, and without having data in hand I suspect that the Arctic (North Pole) is not far behind. If, by "desert", you mean lack of precipitation AND high temperature, then the Sahara, and in the U.S., Death Valley, take the honors. I doubt that these orders have changed much in the last 100 to 200 years.