NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Air Saturation and Movement
Name: Richard

Question:
If I have a sealed container containing water and still air at a given temperature, the air will eventually become saturated with water-gas (100% relative humidity). If the air is then moving (by blowing it around with a fan), will its' water carrying capacity increase ? (Saturated water content) Given the temperature of the system does not change and the container remains sealed. I believe it does.

If the air in a closed container is saturated with water vapor, it is saturated, period, whether the air is moving or still. Think of the analogy of a saturated solution of a salt, e.g. NaCl in water. If the olution is truly saturated and the temperature does not change, it makes no difference whether the water is still or stirred. Of course, if dry air is blown across the water, the conditions have changed.