NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Salt Spray Penetration Distance
Name: Jamie
Location: PA

Question:
Hello, I am looking into salt water erosion. How many miles (approximately) can salt water travel through the air causing erosion?

There is no way I know of to tell. Salt aerosols can travel from a few feet to global miles. My recommendation to you is to re-think your project, because there is an important factor -- salt water -- over which you have no control.

Jamie

Are you asking about soil erosion or electrical erosion? And the answer to the question will also depend a lot on location. In Lompoc, Ca, sometimes transformers in the electrical power distribution grid Get coated with salt and short out. But that is because there are strong winds that blow onshore. The land in the California desert heats up, rises and sucks in the air from the Pacific ocean creating winds at about 3 or 4 PM at 45 to 50 MPH. Sincere regards,

Mike Stewart