NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Aneroid Barometers: Aircraft; Meteorology

Name: George
Location: FL

Question:
I teach classes in weather and air navigation. I am reviewing a document on Weather Forecasting that includes a brief section on weather instruments for surface observations. Do you have a document(s) you can refer me to that explain the manufacture of the barometer aneroid? In other words, what I am trying to determine is exactly what the pressure is inside the aneroid. In aviation barometric altimeters, most of the books say that the aneroid is pressurized to STP (Standard Atmospheric Pressure and Temperature) which in America is 29.92 in. Hg. at 59 Degrees F. Most weather texts however state the meteorological barometer as having an evacuated (vacuum), or partially evacuated chamber. Is there a different standard for weather instruments vs. aircraft altimeters?

George,

Both aneroid barometers and altimeters have an evacuated chamber; the measurement device (the evacuated chamber) is essentially identical in both. Both are adjusted to sea level pressure. Where you read "that the aneroid is pressurized to STP" simply means that it was adjusted to sea level and STP. This is done for both the barometer and the altimeter.

The two devices are used differently. A barometer reading shows the atmospheric pressure at sea level, whereas an altimeter shows the altitude that corresponds to the sea level pressure measured.

David R. Cook Meteorologist Climate Research Section Environmental Science Division Argonne National Laboratory