NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Humidity, Temperature, and Comfort

Name: Chris
Location: NC

Question:
This question deals with weather that we experienced 30.May.2012 in the Piedmont of North Carolina. The humidity was nearly 100%, and the temperature was in the nearly 90 degrees, but it felt so wonderful and cool! (no breeze to speak of) Forgive my ignorance but I was curious how these two factors working together can still create such a "comfortable" temperature?

Chris

The meaning of the term “comfortable” depends on the person who is using it. So while you may call it “comfortable”, others may call it “intolerable.” (I live in Virginia and 90 degrees at 100% relative humidity is “intolerable.” Plus, environmental factors are local to the person experiencing it, so it also depends on where you are physically at.

It may be that at 100% humidity that thunderstorms are developing in the area and local cooling may be experienced. br>
To most people, 90 degrees at 100% relative humidity is “uncomfortable.

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart