NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Wind Speed of Hurricane Above Ground

Name: Jerry
Location: NJ

Question:
During Hurricane Sandy the wind speed on the ground was 100 Miles per hour. What was the wind speed at 200 feet above ground?

I do not know that there is a unique answer to your inquiry. Wind speed in a hurricane is very turbulent. Given the size of ?Sandy?, I doubt that there is a unique answer.