NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne PHornet Behavior
Name: Pam

Question:
I have a question regarding white-faced hornets. I almost never destroy their nests when they are built on my property. I know that they prey on other insects and this seems a good quality to me. Am I exposing neighbors to unwarrented risk of attack? I have found the hornets to be docile if left alone. Do they have a comfort zone? Thanks for any help you can give me.

A hornet's sting can pack a real wallop, but you are correct that unless disturbed they are not aggressive. It is usually quite all right to leave them alone if the nest is not within reach of the ground or is out of the way of human traffic. In places where people are liable to intentionally or unintentionally disturb the nest it might be best to remove them. I've found that with caution one can walk up very close to a nest to observe it, I'm not sure just how much disturbance they can tolerate before aggression.