NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Piercing Cartilidge
Name: Shaunci

Question:
I have to know if it is dangerous to get your cartilage pierced?

Shaunci,

Any time that you pierce the skin (and since cartilage isn't on the surface of the body, you have to pierce the skin), your risk of infection is greater than that of someone who doesn't have their skin pierced. Piercing cartilage as well (I assume the top of your ear?) likely takes longer to heal and therefore provides a greater chance for infection. A serious infection can lead to significant loss of tissue, though it doesn't happen very often. Like any surgery, there are unavoidable risks. You have to decide if it's 'dangerous' or worth the risk.

CED