NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne American Kestrel Hawk
Name: Samuel

Question:
Are there sparrow hawks in Utah? If so, is it illegal to care for one while it is injured?

The Sparrow Hawk is an European bird, but you are probably talking about the American Kestrel hawk which is found coast to coast. I have heard it incorrectly referred to a sparrow hawk so I assume this is the bird you are talking about. Yes, it is found in Utah and NO!, you are not legally able to care for them. If you have an injured hawk, contact a vet. or a local licensed naturalist or contact your state's Department of Natural Resources. To have one of these birds, you have to have both a State and Federal permit.

York High School
Elmhurst, Illinois
60126