NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bees and flight
Name:  Eskil
Status:  other
Age:  40s

Question:
Do you know anyone who has/are doing research on how bees fly (or any other insects with the same "wing construction" as bees)? Has anyone filmed/studied in detail the air currents around the wings? How the insect is using the air's viscosity to fly/float in the air.

Eskil -

Yes, this research has been done, though I don't have the specific cite. Rather recently it was written up. You might want to try the archives of Science News. There is a good chance you would find a lead there.

Also, what might be of interest is the work of Dr. Elizabeth Capaldi (recently of the University of Illinois). She has been using radar to study the flight habits of honey bees. You might find leads at the U of I department of entomology web site.

Bee well.