NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Big Woodpeckers
Name: Stacy

Question:
I live in the southern Oklahoma town of Davis. I have seen a woodpecker that was over a foot long and approx. 3 inch wide. It was dull in color but had a red head. My problem is no one believes that a woodpecker of this size exists and I can not find any information online to back up my story. What species of bird could I have seen? It was pecking in a tree outside my parents home. Thanks.

Stacy,

Look up the Pileated Woodpecker. It can be up to 49 cm long and is found in Eastern Oklahoma.

York High School
Elmhurst, Illinois
60126

Pileated woodpeckers, which are about the size of crows and black with red heads, range through the eastern half of Oklahoma. I don't know how common they are there.