NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Moths and Metamorphosis
Name:  Susan
Status:  other
Age:  30s

Question:
I found a caterpillar about a year ago. It immediately spun a cocoon.

It spent the summer, fall and winter outside. This May I took it inside and have been watching it. I identified it as an American Dagger Moth caterpillar. My question is this: When will it emerge? Is it possible that it is still alive?

I am not familiar with that species or its life cycle, but it seems unlikely that a cocoon spun in spring or early summer would emerge as long as a year later - most moths that form cocoons early in the year will mature to adults before winter; those that form cocoons late in the growing season overwinter in that stage.