NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Swan Eggs
Name: Keleen

Question:
Dear Sir,

My name is Keleen from Taiwan. My family have bred 3 black swans for fun. On this year, one of the female swan laid 5 eggs without incubating. Perhaps, it was disturbed by some wild animal.

Currently, we are thinking to place those eggs in a hatching incubator for hatching. Can you kindly tell me about the information for hatching those eggs artificially? Like the incubator temperature, duration of hatching, and how often to turn over those eggs... Your best bet is to look up the procedures for hatching chicken eggs and use the same procedures. I should point out that many unmated females lay eggs that are unfertilized and then abandon them. This is not uncommon in reptiles and birds.

This is against Federal law in the U.S. You may wish to seek the law in your country.

York High School
Elmhurst, Illinois
60126