NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Dove Nesting
Name: Larry

Question:
I am a student and i have two beutiful white doves. They have had eggs before,but the female always kills the eggs after sitting on them for a long time. Why does she do this? She just had 2 more eggs a couple of days ago will she keep them now that she lives in a cage that she can fly in and out of with her mate because,she's sitting on them at my moms house and i was just wandering. Thank you for your time and consideration.

You might want to contact a vet or an exotic vet if you are in a large metro. area. This rings of a nutrition problem.

York High School
Elmhurst, Illinois
60126

Larry,

In my experience the birds will lay on the eaags in an apparent attempt to hatch them until the eggs 'go bad". You can identify this by their smell. Naturally, I suspect the birds know a bit earlier whether one or any of the eggs will hatch. if the bird has not had the opportunity to mate, no young bird could ever develop, regardless of whatever care the adult bird may take.

Ric