NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne June Bug Longevity
Name: Philippe

Question:
The reason that I arrived to your site is that I'm looking to see if I can find how long does a June Bugs live once its adult and goes out to procreate... I think its one night only..?? So please tell me how many nights does it stay alive once its adult and out in the world... ??

There are many different species of June bugs, most of which look very much alike, but their life cycles are not exactly the same. Most spend 2 or 3 years in larval and pupal stages, transform into adults in the fall, overwinter underground, and emerge to fly and mate in the spring. A few species complete their life cycle in one year, some may go as long as 4. I have not been able to find out how long each adult lives once it is flying, my guess is there is considerable variation between species.