NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Chipmonk Longivety
Name:  Katie
Status:  student
Age:  15

Question:
For five years I have had a house in Cape Cod. Since the day we moved in there has been a chipmunk living in the basement. I've see it every weekend for five years. I was wondering if it is the same chipmunk I keep seeing every year. Could it be the same one or did it's life span run out already?

It would be quite unusual for a chipmunk to live as long as five years in the wild, but if it is especially well fed and protected it might.

http://www.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/PGC/pubs/w_notes/chipmunk.htm

Longevity -> averages 2-3 years in the wild and 5-8 in captivity. However, their offspring would take over their home range in most cases.

Steve