NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Eagle's Beak
Name: donna

Question:
what is the large mass or growth, on the eagles beak....

If you are referring to the area by the nostrils that seems to raise above the upper mandible, I believe the structure is called an operculum. I know that is the term with pigeons, and I believe it is true with all birds having this raise on the upper mandible. I could be in error.

York High School
Elmhurst, Illinois
60126