NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Deer Mice as Pets
Name:  Ursula
Status:  student
Age:  9

Question:
I live in New Jersey. Is the native deer mouse safe to keep as a pet?

It is usually not a good idea to try to keep wild animals as pets, they can be hard to keep alive and sometimes, though probably not very often, can carry diseases or parasites. In Illinois it is illegal besides, even for a mouse, though I doubt anyone would ever complain. Check with a local nature center or wildlife office to see what the law is in your state.

Deer Mice are known to care the lyme disease. I would check with local authorities before taking them as a pet.

sds