NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Brain and Exercise
Name:  Tomokazu
Status:  student
Age:  17

Question:
I see on the web various arguments on how exercise affects the brain. Some say that it helps increase mental astuteness by stimulating growth in the hippocampus. In other places, though, I hear arguments saying exercise increases blood pressure and can cause minor bleeding in the brain, followed by negative effects on memory. Is there a definitive study on this issue? Is it just a matter of how hard one strains themselves in exercise? (i.e. 3 hours slowly is better than 1 hour really intense) Or is one of the arguments wrong?

I think all of what you state has an element of truth. The problem is that when we look at any part of the body apart from the whole we are probably not going to understand the true picture. In people with arteriosclerosis the increase in BP following exercise can increase the risk of cerebral embolism etc but the overall beneficial effects of exercise on the entire body including the brain are hard to underestimate. To find the proper stress of exercise is appropriate to you is trickier and depends on your age shape and overall health.

PF