NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne White Brown Bears
Name:  Ray
Status:  other
Age:  50s

Question:
In July we were on vacation in Alaska. We have gone there 4 times in the last 10 years. We were using an RV and spent on night beside the road about 30 miles south of the intersection of the Denali Highway and Parks Highway, not far from Denali NP. In the morning, while preparing to leave, we spoted a sow bear with two yearling cubs about 3/4 of a mile across a clearing. They were all three as white as snow over their entire bodies. We could see their entire bodies. There was no dark hair on any of them. They were not what I would call a blond brown bear. We watched them work their way across the clearing for about 30-40 min's with binoculars and a zoom video camera. I am aware of the "Spirit Bears" of BC but they are a small group and I understand they are a type of black bear. The sow in this group was had the distinct hump of a brown bear. Are there other reports of "white" brown bears? Have there been any other sitings of white bears of any type in this area of Alaska?

I don't know a lot about bear genetics but there are albino forms in almost all mammals.

PF