NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Polar Bears and Antartica
Name:  Kathryn
Status:  student
Age:  13

Question:
In order for me to do a science project at school, I need an answer to this question:

Is there any reason why polar bears could not survive if they were introduced to Antarctica?

They most likely would not be able to find the right kind of food.

Interesting question...difficult to say for sure but my estimate is no because of the substantial differences in the weather, landscape and food chain. Although the polar bear is a true carnivore it eats considerable amount of sea weed for minerals. The north polar region is as you know far less harsh and more populated in its associated land with life. The ice flow is considerably different with water breaks even at the north pole itself. We could ask them if they would enjoy penguin eggs for breakfast and maybe they would make a go for it.

PF