NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Skunk Stripes
Name: Unknown

Question:
Hi, I just had a quick question.Is it possible that there are white skunks with black stripes?? Or just the typical black and white skunks?

When it comes to oddities in nature I've learned the hard way to "never say never," but I would find it odd indeed to see a white skunk with black stripes. Albinos occur in almost all species, but in the case of an albino and therefore white skunk, I can't think of any reason the stripes would be black, they would still be white too.