NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Frog Egg Sacs
Name:  tina
Status:  student
Age:  19

Question:
I have 2 tiny egg sacks that my frogs in my fish tank laid. I need to know if it is alright to leave the adult frogs in the tank or if I need to take them out? Also can you move the egg sacks or will it kill them? Does the tank have to be a certain temperature for them to survive?

Frog eggs should not need any special care, you should be able to move them as long as they are not out of water during the move and go into the same conditions. Salamanders are sometimes cannibalistic, and salamander larvae definitely will eat each other if left together in a tank but I have not heard of frogs doing this, though it might be safer to keep frog tadpoles and adults separate. Frog tadpoles eat algae.