NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Praying Mantis and Bees
Name: Jonatan

Question:
A few weeks ago I found a praying mantis in the garden and have kept it since. I have been researching about them and found out they eat bees. Until now I have been feeding it flies and crickets, but there are a lot of bees and wasps outside. Is it safe to feed it bees? Or can the bee sting it?

Another thing, something really weird happened with the mantis. For some reason all of a sudden its wings curled up and the mantis got really sick. It stopped eating for about a week. A friend told me that maybe it ate a fly that had stood on some insecticide and that probably it would die. Now the mantis is eating again, but the wings are still curled up. I've been thinking that maybe its a vitamin deficiency or something like that. What could it be?

I can't answer your questions about exactly what a praying mantis can or can't eat, I think most any insect they can catch, or about it stopping eating and starting again. But you should not expect it to live very long at any rate, adults do not normally overwinter, like most all insects they have a short lifespan and in the wild will die in the fall after laying eggs.

Hi Jonatan!

Praying mantis are carnivorous, so they eat insects. They have a frail and short life, so your mantis very probably will die soon. It could be that some insect you gave it was poisoned, we cannot be sure. But dear...a praying mantis is a very beautiful natural being, and it is not a pet...so do not take its freedom ever again, I beg you.

And thanks for asking NEWTON!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)