NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne V Formation of Geese
Name: Dermot M.

Question:
I have read your archives on how geese fly in a V formation. Which goose leads the way? Specifically, does it tend to be the oldest, youngest, or just random, any goose to lead? Does age (experience) matter?

I learned somewhere, years ago, that the lead position rotates, that a bird will lead for a while and then drop back letting the next in line take its place. The references I have at hand at the moment neither confirm or deny this so I can not say for sure it is true.