NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Reynaud's Phenomenon
Name: Heena M.

Question:
I am currently designing a 'heat glove' to help those suffering from Reynaud's phenomenon. I need to find out whether the blood from a particular part of the body can be heated somehow, if so how? Also, is there anything that be used to get blood to 'think' that the hand needs it and therefore it would go to the hands?

Blood shunting occurs in most mammals to my knowledge. Shunting is the local direction of blood by the vasoconstriction or dilation in response to physiological demands...based on changes in oxygen tension and even heat. If you look up blood shunting in a medical physiology text you should find more on the subject.

Peter F