NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Adult Butterflies
Name: Christine K.
Status:  other
Age:  50s

Question:
Please help! My 82 year old mother has a wooly bear caterpillar in a jar that has just yesterday turned itself into a silky cocoon.

She is worried that when it turns into the Isabella tiger moth, it will starve in the jar since she has no idea what to feed it until it is warm enough to set it free in Spring! I have searched the net for two hours and can find nothing on the tiger moth food source. Can you help? Thanks, and hurry Mrs. Chris K., Dunkirk, Md.

Actually , butterflies and moths do not have a very long lifespan. It will probably die of old age in a few weeks anyway. You can continue the life cycle by providing it something to lay its eggs on however. Where did you find it? If you can provide it with some of the material it lays eggs on , you may be able to get it to lay.

VanHoeck