NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Flying Squirrels
Name: Pat S.

Question:
I live in Kentucky and I keep seeing something in a tree outside my home at night. Since it is night, it is hard to see it very well but I can tell it is light in color but not white and moves quickly along the branches stretched out flat like a squirrel. When it reaches the end of a branch it often launches itself into the air and glides into the woods. I have never heard or seen any type of wing flapping but it doesn't seem to have the clumsiness of a flying squirrel. It's "flight" is smooth. It makes a sound I would describe as a chittering noise. I didn't notice anything through the winter which leads me to believe that it either hibernates or goes elsewhere.

I first thought it might be bats but the quick movement along the branches causes me to wonder. I wouldn't bother you with something so simple except that this has me very perplexed. I was in the hopes that you could give me some clues as to what type of animal this could be in my area. I would appreciate anything you could tell me that might help me to clear this up. I am not afraid of it but certainly would like to know what this is prowling around in the dark outside my home.

Flying squirrel...I have had quite a few living in my house...cute little buggers.

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Office of Science
Department of Energy

Flying Squirrels! Quite an animal!

Long distance identification is always very risky, but it sounds most likely like a flying squirrel to me.