NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Daddy Long legs
Name: Sabrina F.

Question:
Is the Daddy-long-leg spider deadly? poisonous? (to humans)

No...and if I am not mistaken I do not even think know if it is in the chilicerata...which would make it a true spider...but I am not sure...At any rate it I used to handle them quite a lot when I was a kid and never got bit... Spiders' first set of jointed appendages are the chelicera which are what they bit with and what the use to deliver venom...I never saw them on and Daddy long legs.

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Office of Science
Department of Energy

NO! Technically, by the way, daddy long legs are not spiders but a separate related group of arachnics.