NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Pigeon Behavior
Name: Matt H.

Question:
Two days ago my family had a yard sale. Early that morning, a pigeon landed on our awning. The bird then began to perch on my dad's hat. The bird stayed the whole day, following my father and I wherever we went. When he went inside, the bird would wait by the front door. When we were sitting around, waiting for customers, the bird would land on the ground and sort of nibble between our toes (or between outstretched fingers). The bird stayed all day. Finally, after we packed everything up, it disappeared for a while. Later, the bird came back! This time, it followed us into the garage and perched atop the hood of our van. My dad turned on the windshield wipers, backed out, sped up, etc. but the pigeon wouldn't leave. My dad finally had to shoo it off with his hands. As we drove off, the bird just stood in the middle of the street.

We thought that the pigeon was gone, but today it came back! Earlier, it was perched on our front door, looking into the house through a window. Whenever we go outside, it starts following us again. We have not fed the bird, so we do not know why it is hanging around. Could you please tell us why it is not leaving?

I strongly suspect that this is a lost, confused homing pigeon that thinks your house is its home. I am sure there are "homing pigeon" clubs. Try contacting them to see if anyone is missing a pigeon.

Does the bird have a leg band? This is probably someone's tame bird that has not found its way home. I am not sure why it would be so attracted to you, but see if you can find a band; if it is banded read the numbers and then call around to local Audubon chapters, nature centers, or even check the phone book to see if there are any racing or homing pigeon groups in your area that could trace the band number.