NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Butterfly Collecting
Name: Mark L.

Question:
Hi, I found a butterfly and I decided that I want to start collecting butterflies. But I do not know where to start. Please help.

Dear Mark:

You may be able to find a copy of the National Audubon Society First Field Guide to Insects, by Christina Wilsdon, at your local library. The "ISBN number" for the book may help out in finding it: ISBN 0-590-05483-X.

If you really want to see the "all about it" version, you might enjoy looking at the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies.

Its book number is ISBN 0-394-51914-0. It has lots of great pictures of different butterflies, and was written by my friend, and big time butterfly guy, Robert Michael Pyle.

You might try surfing the National Audubon Society website at

http://www.audubon.org/

Besides having good information about butterflies and other wildlife, it may also help you find people in your area that share your interest in butterflies.

Tom Douglas