NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Age of Fish
Name: Phillip E

Question:
How can you determine the age of a fish? I know that there are many types of fish, so if you need a specific one you can pick from any of the sports fishing fish - trout, bass, northern pike, salmon.

I am not sure about this, but I thought I heard once that fish scales have rings similar to tree rings and you can tell the age of the fish by the number of rings on their scales. I am also not sure if this applies to all fish species.

In most bony fishes, many of the scales and bones show seasonal growth (more obvious in the temperate zones)that can be observed. Since most bony fish never stop growing (some notable exceptions here, scientist have a means to determine age.