NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Salt and Moulting Fowl
Name: Doyle W.

Question:
I was told salt is poison to chickens. I also read that pigeon racers give salt to their birds during the moult. Would you think salt would be beneficial or harmful to molting fowl?

Dear Doyle:

What I suggest you do, is to contact your County Agricultural Extension Agent. They are the most likely to know this kind of thing, and providing this type of information to the public is part of their job.

Tom Douglas