NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Potassium in Aquaria
Name: Suzanne G.

Question:
Other than commercially prepared buffers. What products can be used to remove excess potassium from an aquarium. The potassium levels are rising too fast and this promotes too much algae growth. Commercial products are both too expensive and do not work well.

I know of no way other than ion exchange columns to remove potassium quickly, easily and cheaply. What is the source of the potassium? If you know that you can "remove" it by using distilled or deionized water, so that the potassium never enters the aquarium. While I am not an expert in the flora and fauna of aquariums, algae blooms are usually the result of excess nitrate and / or phosphate. Are you sure that potassium and not one of the latter salts is not the culprit?