NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snake Molting
Name: Carl S

Question:
In my Zoology class, I caught a 2 1/2 foot king snake, and right now its "molting" the eye is turning blue and all that good stuf, but the real question is , How long does this process take? thank you

If the snake is healthy it may be a few days after the eye turns blue before the actual process begins, and then a day or so to complete. Sometimes, especially with older snakes or poor health, it might take several days.