NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Coyotes in Chicago
Name: Pamela K

Question:
I am a writer doing research for a story on the coyote. I saw one running in the back yard area in a suburb of Chicago while returning home from an apple picking outing. Has there been a greater incidence of coyote in more heavily populated areas closer to Chicago? Also, if one was spotted would there be somewhere to report these findings? Where is the nearest refuge for coyotes in the Chicago-land are, if there is one?

Coyotes are very adaptable indigenous predators along the western shores of Lake Michigan. They have been known to kill pets let out of doors at night. I do not know that there is any single agency where sightings or incidents are reported but I would start with any local or regional wildlife control, the Department of Natural Resources, or state and/or local park jurisdictions.

As the suburbs have spread into more remote areas the coyotes, like deer, raccoons, and possums sometimes leave but also sometimes just make themselves at home.