NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snake, Brazil, Capitoral
Name: Cheryl L

Question:
I was wondering what snake found in Brazil, very poisonous, that the venom is used to make a blood pressure medicine named Capitoral (Caporal) not for sure about the spelling. the snake is a yellowish brown with black spots. we saw this snake on the discovery channel Saturday and forgot the name. I believe it started with an "R" and ended with gold. Not to for sure though. Thank you for your help.

Hi Cheryl!

I am sorry to say but probably you are going into some confusion. There are a snake in Brasil called jararaca which venom is being studied in order to prepare a anti-hypertension medicine . The generic name of the active drug is Evasin ( from endogenous vasopeptidase inhibitor) and was developed by Coinfar Lab from Brasil.

You can find informations and very beautiful pictures of Jararaca at: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Veranda/7314/cobras/jaraca.htm By other hand there is a medicine that is fully used against hypertension and that is called brand name: Capoten, generic:captopril and that is a synthetic drug.

Thanks for asking NEWTON! Tell your friends about us!

Mabel
(Dr. Mabel Rodrigues)