NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Lake Ontario Shells
Name: Mary Ver W.
Age: old

Question:
On the shore of Lake Ontario, New York State, I have found thousands of small shells. They are very small compared to clams. Are these shells from the mussels that have invaded our area. I am 71 years old and do walk a lot and I just found your web page and it has already answered so many questions. thank you so much.

I do not have an answer to your question, but it is an interesting observation. I would gather a sample of the shells and send them to one of the following:

1. Department of Natural Resources.

2. A zoology department at a local college / university.

3. Local museum of natural history.

Identification of the origin of such shells requires someone who is knowledgeable about the local lake-life and history of the area.

If they were brown and white striped, they are zebra mussels.