NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Frog Sexing
Name: Kristina
Date: Saturday, April 20, 2002

Question:
How do I tell the sex of my frog or toad?

It depends on the species. Males of many species have enlarged thumb or forefinger, some have enlarged pads on those limbs, or harder spots, used for grasping the female during mating. Other species have differences in the throat sac. There is a slight difference in the side of the head of bull frogs. The Handbook of Frogs and Toads, by Wright and Wright, has an excellent page of photographs, if you can find the book.