NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne White Pelicans in Mexico
Name: America V.
Age:40s
Date: Saturday, April 20, 2002

Question:
Where do the white pelicans that migrate to the water ponds in the state of Queretaro in Mexico come from ?

I am concerned about their protection , would you please help me ? their environment is affected by urban growth and pollution, and I would like to create awareness in the human population who surrounds the ponds in order to work with authorities to reserve an area for their protection

White pelicans nest on isolated islands in lakes, in scattered locations in the great plains of the U.S. and especially prairie provinces of Canada, some also in Oregon, California, and the intermountain west of the U.S.