NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snake Care at Shedding
Name: Sasha J.
Date: Tuesday, May 07, 2002

Question:
How will I know when the snake is ready to shed and what should I do or not do while it is shedding?

When a snake is getting ready to shed its eyes cloud over and the skin has a generally dull and worn look, just before shedding begins the skin may begin to crack around the head. Snakes are very sensitive while shedding and should be left alone. They need some sort of rough surface, like a rock or stick, to rub against to start peeling the skin off.