NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Screech in the Night
Name: Meredith T.
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2002

Question:
We live adjacent to Crane Wildlife Management Area (Groveland/Georgetown/Byfield/West Newbury, MA) and are hearing a terrifying screeching sound (seems bird-like) at 1:30-4 AM in the spring and fall. We thought perhaps it is a night heron. Any other animals that would make such a sound, and is there a web site we could hear these wildlife sounds?

Meredith,

The juvenile Great Horned Owl has a loud screech (short lived and one pitch usually) to attract the attention of the adults. Juveniles are hatched in about early March (depends on latitude) and in April they begin to practice flight, etc., moving around and calling for food all night.

Now as for the fall, it would be unusual for a juvenile to be calling for food or whatever, however, it may be possible in September. November is the beginning of the courtship behaviors of GHO's, and the young of the spring are not a priority any longer. In any case, they should be able to fare for themselves by that time. The Screech Owl has a whistle-like hoot and I would not describe it as a screech.

The other contender is the Barred Owl, the juvenile call is more like a short bark like a dog.

All of these owl species reside in your area.

FYI: I studied (in the field) all three of these birds for two years as part of my graduate work.

Screech Owl... most likely...I have heard them in northern NH.

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Science Education
Office of Science
Department of Energy

Perhaps a barn owl. Here is a site to start with that has one barn owl call. There are others. A google search for bird songs will help you find some.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/songlist.html

NOTE: Barn Owls are diurnal for the most part.