NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Home Raised Snapping Turtle
Name: Sue Steanson
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2002

Question:
I have a common snapper that I have raised from its birth. It is nice months old now and its carapace is about 4 inches in diameter. I have had him in a 10 gallon filtered aquarium with a 4" red-eared slider until recently. He snapped at the slider (it was on top of its back) so I put him in a large galvanized metal tub. He seems happy here but I would like to get him out into the outside. I have a small pond outside(16" deep at the deepest and maybe 30+ gallons) and will put the red-eared slider in it when the weather improves - he was in it last summer and fall. Would the snapper work out here in the pond? I was thinking about making another small pond with a shallow rubber tub in it that I would sink in the ground but that the turtle could crawl out into grass, sand and mud. What would you recommend?

Sue,

Yes, go ahead and release it, it should survive as long as it is not fenced in. They may travel to more suitable locations by themselves, you live outside of a metro area or near where the turtle was found. Otherwise, seek out a Naturists for assistence because it's survival will be questionable.

BUT more importantly, most native turtles are protected by State and Federal regulations. Wild turtles also carried some nasty diseases. I would stop collecting any wild animals of any type, no matter what good intentions you may be. Only educated zoologists with the proper State and Federal permits may handle most native turtles; they understand the animals needs.

Take care,