NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Snapper Turtle Eggs
Name: Trish F.
Date: 
Monday, June 17, 2002

Question:
I live in new jersey and a large snapper turtle laid eggs in the remnants of my old pool sand ... how long do these need to incubate? Should i leave them alone? I have four children Should I fence the area or does the turtle come back? What an interesting day here in NJ.

The adult turtle will not come back, once the eggs are laid they are on their own. If you can leave the area undisturbed that would be great and you MIGHT get to see young turtles emerge. Time required is quite variable, maybe a few weeks, maybe more, depending on temperature and other environmental conditions. If you have other wildlife in the area, particularly raccoons, there is a very good chance the nest will be discovered and the eggs eaten before they can mature, but you never know, obviously they succeed often enough to maintain the species.