NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Health and Swans
Name: Cindy S.
Date: Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Question:
I thought I heard at one time that a pair of swans in a retention pond or small lake was a good indicator of the water's health. My memory is a bit fuzzy on what I heard, but I would like to know if you could direct me to some research that could be of some use on the subject. I see many ponds around me in the Chicagoland area and many seem to have a pair of swans.

I am not aware of specific research on this topic though there may be some out there. However, my observation is that swans, which are often kept in corporate retention ponds to help deter geese, as well as Canada geese and mallards, our most common urban waterfowl, are not especially particular about water quality.